Ngene hangs?

This forum is for posts that specifically focus on Ngene.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Ngene hangs?

Postby paulm » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 am

Hello,

I'm building a design and I have tried this design two ways. In version 1, I specify:
;block = 12, minsum, total(20 secs)

In version 2, I specify:
;block = 12, minsum, total(2 mins)

This is the only difference in syntax between the two designs. With design #1, I can double click a design and wait a few seconds and it opens up. Or I can right-click on the design and save it to my project. Or pretty much anything I want.

With deisgn #2, I can't do any of these things. If I double click a design while running (or even if I stop it first), Ngene hangs. I've let it continue running for more than a half hour before killing the process.

Any thoughts?

Paul
paulm

Re: Ngene hangs?

Postby Andrew Collins » Fri May 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Paul

There is indeed a bug whereby the maximum time that can be specified is 58 seconds (regardless of whether the time is specified in minutes or seconds). This will be fixed in the next point release. Regarding the other issue you emailed me with, can you post the syntax please, or send it to me by email. I will then take a close look.

Andrew
Andrew Collins

Re: Ngene hangs?

Postby Andrew Collins » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Further to my last post, to get more search time for the blocking column, you could specify the time as being the time since the last improvement, after which the search ends:
Code: Select all
;block = 12, minsum, noimprov(58 secs)

The downside is that the search time is not deterministic, and could last a very long time. In my experience I have found that improvements in the blocking tend to stop after a relatively short period of time, but this is likely design dependent.
Andrew Collins

Return to Choice experiments - Ngene