Cond with require / Dummy or not / working with SurveyEngine

This forum is for posts that specifically focus on Ngene.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Cond with require / Dummy or not / working with SurveyEngine

Postby Joseph Wu » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:40 pm

To the Ngene support team,

I am a PhD student at the University of Queensland, currently conducting a choice study on mode selection concerning micro-mobility. I also apply SurveyEngine as part of my survey design.

Here is my current script of Ngene design:
Code: Select all
design
;alts = pmm, ptsmm, car
;rows = 48
;block = 8
;eff = (mnl, d)
;alg = mfederov
;bdraws = sobol(200)
;cond:
if(ptsmm.SMMTT=2, ptsmm.IVTT_2=0 and ptsmm.RC_2=0 and ptsmm.SMMTC=0),
if(ptsmm.SMMTT=4, ptsmm.IVTT_2=1 and ptsmm.RC_2=1 and ptsmm.SMMTC=1),
if(ptsmm.SMMTT=6, ptsmm.IVTT_2=2 and ptsmm.RC_2=2 and ptsmm.SMMTC=2),
if(ptsmm.SMMTT=8, ptsmm.IVTT_2=3 and ptsmm.RC_2=3 and ptsmm.SMMTC=3),
if(ptsmm.CL_2=0, ptsmm.IVTT_2=[0,1]),
if(ptsmm.CL_2=1, ptsmm.IVTT_2=[1,2]),
if(ptsmm.CL_2=2, ptsmm.IVTT_2=[2,3]),
if(car.CL_3=0, car.IVTT_3=[0,1]),
if(car.CL_3=2, car.IVTT_3=[1,2])

;require:
ptsmm.CL_2<= car.CL_3,
pmm.BW <= ptsmm.BW

;model:
U(pmm) = b1.dummy[(n,0,0.2)|(n,0,0.2)|(n,0,0.2)|(n,0,0.2)] * W[0,1,2,3,4]
        + b2.dummy[-0.02|-0.01]                            * IVTT[0,1,2]
        + b3.dummy[-0.02|-0.01]                            * RC[0,1,2]
        + b4.dummy[-0.04|-0.03|-0.02|-0.01]                * BW[0,1,2,3,4]
        + asc1[0]
/
U(ptsmm) = b1                          * W
        + b5.dummy[0.03|0.02|0.01]     * IVTT_2[0,1,2,3]
        + b6[-0.01]                    * SMMTT[2,4,6,8]
        + b7[-0.01]                    * WT[2,5,8]
        + b8[-0.01]                    * AT_2[1,3,5]
        + b9.dummy[0.03|0.02|0.01]     * RC_2[0,1,2,3]
        + b10.dummy[0.03|0.02|0.01]    * SMMTC[0,1,2,3]
        + b11.dummy[0.02|0.01]         * CL_2[0,1,2]
        + b4                           * BW
        + asc2[0]
/
U(car) = b1                      * W
        + b12.dummy[-0.02|-0.01] * IVTT_3[0,1,2]
        + b13.dummy[-0.02|-0.01] * AT_3[0,1,2]
        + b14.dummy[-0.02|-0.01] * RC_3[0,1,2]
        + b15.dummy[-0.02|-0.01] * PC_3[0,1,2]
        + b16.dummy[0.02|0.01]   * CL_3[0,1,2]
$

I have several inquiries regarding my experimental design:
1.I aim to implement constraints in my design, represented as cond: and require: in Ngene. However, cond: cannot be used alongside mfederov, and require: necessitates specifying the algorithm employed. Is there a method to incorporate both cond: and require: simultaneously? I reviewed the manual but couldn't find an example.
2. Certain attribute values in my study are computed based on participants' responses or predefined values. For instance, IVTT (Travel time), RC (Running cost), and SMMTC (Travel cost) vary around a base value, with a variance of ±25%, based on reported travel distance. Additionally, AT (Access time) and PC (Parking cost) are determined using predefined logic on the basis of their responses. Despite being numerical, should these attributes still be treated as dummy coding, similar to my current script?
3. I'm contemplating including two sum attributes for total travel time and cost in my survey to provide participants with a clear understanding. These values will be computed based on related attribute values in the design. Should I proceed with designing the experiment as usual and then insert specific columns with all 0 for these two attributes?
4. Do you have any further suggestions or recommendations regarding my script?

I greatly appreciate your insights and feedback and eagerly await your response.

Best regards,
Yikang
Joseph Wu

Re: Cond with require / Dummy or not / working with SurveyEn

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:45 pm

1. Currently Ngene only supports ;require/reject for mfederov and ;cond for the default swapping algorithm, this has to do with the fact that each type of algorithm constructs designs differently and needs constraints to be specified in a certain way. But it is almost always possible to reformulate a require/reject constraint into a conditional constraint and the other way around. For example, you can reformulate your require constraints as:

;cond:
if(ptsmm.CL_2=1, car.CL_3=[1,2]),
if(ptsmm.CL_2=2, car.CL_3=2),
if(pmm.BW=1, ptsmm.BW=[1,2,3,4]),
if(pmm.BW=2, ptsmm.BW=[2,3,4]),
if(pmm.BW=3, ptsmm.BW=[3,4]),
if(pmm.BW=4, ptsmm.BW=4)

2. It seems that you are pivoting attribute levels around self-reported reference levels. In that case, you could consider generating different designs with absolute levels based on different combinations of reported attribute levels. This would require generating a large number of designs a priori but it would avoid having to implement a good amount of survey logit. Alternatively, you can compute attribute levels on the fly and generate a single design based around average levels for IVTT, RC and SMMTC and then convert these to relative pivots. Since these attributes are numerical, you do not need to dummy code them. However, since you are using near-zero priors, I would recommend to use dummy coding at the design stage if possible, but this may conflict with pivoting.

3. This has to do with presentation format of the design, so this is a question to SurveyEngine on how to do this in their platform. But yes, you would generate the design as usual. In your analysis, you may need to account for the fact that you also show the sum, as some people may only look at the total and at the components, so it may require special econometric modelling.

4. You need to add alternative-specific constants. If you are interested in market shares or demand forecasting, I would also add ;con to the script. Most importantly, you have created perfectly correlated attributes in your first four conditional constraints such that you will not be able to estimate your model and it will result in an infinite (undefined) D-error. You need variation in your design to be able to estimate the coefficients, so please relax these constraints.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Postby Joseph Wu » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 pm

Hi Michiel,

Thank you for your thorough feedback and suggestions.

Regarding the issue of too many constraints, I'd like to explain the logic behind my survey design.

For the alternative combining public transport (pt) and shared micro-mobility (smm) - ptsmm - I've set four levels of smm travel time (SMMTT) (2, 4, 6, 8 mins), which then determine the attribute levels of ptsmm.IVTT, ptsmm.RC, and ptsmm.SMMTC. To ensure consistency, I've imposed four constraints to always align them with the corresponding SMMTT levels.

Since the values of travel time and travel cost are also influenced by reported travel distance, and creating a bunch of designs for all configurations is overly complex, I've handled the calculation of these related attribute levels within the SurveyEngine platform using variables. For example, I've created variables like IVTT_base, IVTT_plus_%25, and IVTT_minus_%25 to represent three levels of IVTT for pmm and car, and these variables are then inserted into the SurveyEngine design as attribute levels. In other words, while these values are ultimately real numbers, from an experimental design standpoint, their levels lack specific values. Instead, they're represented by variables that only indicate the order of these levels in terms of magnitude. This is why I believe employing dummy coding for these variables in the experimental design is appropriate.

Regarding the weather attribute (W), which remains constant across all alternatives as a scenario attribute, I plan to use the expression b1*W[W] for ptsmm and car.

To address the challenge of too many constraints, I've considered three approaches:

1. Implementing a method similar to that used for the weather attribute. Since these attributes have the same levels after dummy coding, I could apply expressions like b9.dummy[0.03|0.02|0.01]* RC_2[IVTT_2] and b10.dummy[0.03|0.02|0.01]*SMMTC[IVTT_2]. Would this approach differ significantly from the current method of setting constraints?

2. Focusing solely on SMMTT in the experimental design and creating corresponding columns for other attributes in .Excel before importing the design into SurveyEngine.

3. Adjusting the survey design to mitigate the perfect correlation between these attributes.

I would greatly appreciate your input and suggestions on these options.

Best regards,
Yikang
Joseph Wu

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm

Option 1 will never work because you cannot estimate both b9 and b10 if your attributes are fully correlated, so it leads to the same issue.

Option 3 may work if you do not create 1-on-1 relationships between variables, and instead provide some freedom for variables to move. A typical example is that short distance trips may have travel times 5,10,15, while medium distance trips have 15,20,25, and long distance trips have 25,30,40 or something. This avoids perfect correlation.

If all variables move exactly together, then you need to capture this in a single combined variable with only a single (dummy coded) coefficient.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Return to Choice experiments - Ngene