Short courses using Ngene

This forum is for posts that specifically focus on Ngene.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Short courses using Ngene

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Each year there are several short courses offered on discrete choice analysis and stated choice experimental design using Ngene with the involvement of the team of ChoiceMetrics. Below is a list of future courses that have been announced.

Sydney
26 to 30 July 2021
More information: https://sydney.edu.au/business/our-research/institute-of-transport-and-logistics-studies/courses/discrete-choice-analysis.html

London
16 to 30 November 2021
More information: https://cmc.leeds.ac.uk/courses-phds/cpd/
Michiel Bliemer

Re: Short courses using Ngene

Postby melanie » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 am

Dear Michiel,

I am interested in attending the discrete choice analysis course at USYD this July, but I am unsure if the course will be helpful for the stage we are up to in our DCE and was hoping you could provide some insight.

We are conducting a DCE looking into GPs prescribing preferences for patients with chronic pain and will be using Qualtrics to run the survey. We have no prior experience at all in conducting DCEs so have been spending alot of time over the last several months to learn how to create the correct code in Ngene for our design and whilst it seems we have finally got there we still need to run the survey and then conduct the analysis, we were thinking to use Nlogit to do this. I am thinking it may be best to pause our project until after I complete this course if it would give me much more knowledge on where to go from here, what do you think?

Best wishes,
Melanie
melanie

Re: Short courses using Ngene

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Wed May 26, 2021 10:14 pm

Dear Melanie,

Apologies for the late reply, I did not notice your post earlier.

If you are able to postpone until after the course then I would definitely recommend that (assuming that you are in Australia or New Zealand since borders are currently closed for international visitors due to covid-19). The course provides a wealth of information about how to design your experiment, how to get the most our of your data collection, what models are best to estimate, etc. It is taught all within a single week, mastering this by yourself by reading books is possible without support it is often difficult. The course is about 50% tutorials in Nlogit and Ngene, thereby getting a lot of hands-on experience.

Designing choice experiments and estimating logit models is not rocket science, but it is not straightforward either, it typically takes several months to design a good survey and then several months to do the analysis. The course would allow you to do this much quicker and in a more rigorous fashion.

Best wishes,
Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Return to Choice experiments - Ngene