Exporting data from Ngene

This forum is for posts that specifically focus on Ngene.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Exporting data from Ngene

Postby melanie » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 am

Hi there,

I was just wondering what would be the best way to export the choice sets created in Ngene directly into another platform which then delivers those choice sets in the form of a survey for research participants? I am not sure if you are familiar with this but we are using Qualtrics to set up and provide the survey/choice sets to our participants.

Thanks!
melanie

Re: Exporting data from Ngene

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:46 am

Each survey tool has their own structure so it depends on which tool you are using. If you are using SurveyEngine you can read in an Ngene design (ngd) directly, or you can copy & paste the design matrix directly into the tool. The choice-based conjoint module of Qualtrics uses an Excel spreadsheet I believe so you will need to copy the design matrix from Ngene into Excel and put it in the format that Qualtrics expects. This usually means renumbering levels (starting with 0 or with 1) and/or re-arranging columns.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Postby melanie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks Michiel,

We have just started by creating a regular survey in Qualtrics, I can see that they offer Conjoint projects for an additonal cost. For our purposes do you know if we absolutely need to use choice-based conjoint module of Qualtrics or are there other options?

Regards,
Melanie
melanie

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm

The module is indeed quite expensive, for that reason I have never used it myself, I have only seen a demonstration of it. Without it, all you can do is make screenshot of choice tasks and add them in Qualtrics as an image with radio buttons underneath. There is no other way to do choice experiments in Qualtrics, the choice based conjoint module is otherwise what you need.

I use SurveyEngine, which has been specifically designed for choice surveys. The tool can essentially be used for free, you pay for the sampling and survey management costs.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Postby melanie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks again Michiel!

So to clarify, without the Conjoint project I need to manually create each choice set? This seems like it would take forever??

Melanie
melanie

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Yes you would have to manually create each choice task, for example in Excel, make a screenshot, save the image, and import the choice task as an image in Qualtrics. This is indeed time consuming if you have a complex design, so people usually only do this for relatively simple surveys.
Michiel Bliemer

Return to Choice experiments - Ngene