Wording for the opt-out option

This forum is for posts covering broader stated choice experimental design issues.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Wording for the opt-out option

Postby Sumudu_Hewage » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:52 pm

In my DCE, I aim to assess preferences for a mobile app designed to assist individuals with chronic heart disease in managing their healthcare.
I'm considering presenting three alternatives: two unlabelled mobile apps and an opt-out option. My rationale for including the opt-out choice stems from the fact that mobile apps are not currently part of the standard care for these patients.

I have a query about the opt-out alternative:
In a typical DCE, what do we want to capture in the opt-out? Is it that the respondents do not like (opt-out) the two alternatives presented in the choice task (alternative A or B), or is it that they never like the intervention (in my case, they never like a mobile app)?

I have this question because I would like to add text in the 'opt-out' alternative box to make it clearer to the respondent. I am wondering which suits better in my situation:
"I do not like either alternative (alternative A or B)"
OR
"I choose not to use a mobile app to help me with my heart disease care."

Greatly appreciate your advice.
Sumudu
Sumudu_Hewage

Re: Wording for the opt-out option

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:59 pm

The appropriate text would be something like "Neither", so "I do not like either alternative (alternative A or B)".
This means that the preference depends on the presented alternatives, and for some the respondent may choose A or B while for other presented alternatives the respondent may choose Neither.

In contrast, "I choose not to use a mobile app to help me with my heart disease care" would mean that they would never select A or B, no matter what these alternatives are. This is more a question that you would ask in the beginning of the survey, because if they say that they would never use a mobile app then the whole choice experiment becomes redundant.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Return to Choice experiments - general