Choice design with blocks of different sizes

This forum is for posts that specifically focus on Ngene.

Moderators: Andrew Collins, Michiel Bliemer, johnr

Choice design with blocks of different sizes

Postby d.asioli » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:22 am

Hello,

I am reviewing a paper where authors have used a choice design with food products (unlabeled choice experiments) which have created 15 choice sets which they divided into 2 blocks of 8 and 7 choice sets. Thus, one a group of consumers get 1 block of 8 choice sets while the other group get a block of 7 choice sets. I know that the standard practice is to have blocks of equal number of choice sets, I think. I am wondering if using blocks of different sizes of choice sets is correct/potential implications or consequences, I guess related to statistical efficiency.

Best regards,
Daniele
d.asioli

Re: Choice design with blocks of different sizes

Postby Michiel Bliemer » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:21 am

While it is uncommon to have blocks of unequal size, it is not really a major issue. It is for example also possible that some respondents do not complete all choice tasks and therefore one would obtain a different number of observations from respondents, which is not a problem. The main thing to consider is fatigue, so some respondents were given 7 choice tasks while others were given 8 choice tasks. But you could argue that fatigue effects will not be very different between 7 and 8 (but would be between 7 and 17, for example). Having different block sizes does not effect efficient since efficiency is based on the entire design, in this case 15 choice tasks.

Michiel
Michiel Bliemer

Return to Choice experiments - Ngene